Ahmad Zahid’s foreign visa corruption case postponed to September 1


SHAH ALAM (Aug 25): The High Court here allowed a defense request in a corruption case involving former Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi (pictured) under the foreign visa system (VLN ) to cancel today’s hearing.

Judge Datuk Mohd Yazid Mustafa allowed the hearing to be canceled after Ahmad Zahid’s lawyer Datuk Ahmad Zaidi Zainal produced a letter to the court from a hospital indicating the condition and injuries of his client .

“However, the hearing dates set for September 1 and 2 are maintained. It will also depend on Ahmad Zahid’s condition. We cannot predict at this time how long it will take to recover.

“However, this is a matter of public interest and the trial is expected to continue soon,” the judge said.

Previously, Ahmad Zaidi had told the court that his client was admitted to a private hospital after falling into his home on Sunday.

In today’s proceedings, the prosecution was represented by Deputy Prosecutor (DPP) Wan Shaharuddin Wan Ladin.

Ahmad Zahid also did not attend the hearing of his corruption case, involving funds from Yayasan Akalbudi, and the court was informed that the president of Umno had been hospitalized with a back injury, Following which High Court Judge Datuk Collin Lawrence Sequerah ruled that a subpoena would be handed over to Dr Mohd Shahir Anuar at Avisena Specialized Hospital in Shah Alam to explain the procedures to be performed on Ahmad Zahid and the length of time it takes for the accused to make a full recovery.

Ahmad Zahid, 68, faces 33 charges of receiving bribes amounting to S $ 13.56 million (approx RM42 million) from Ultra Kirana Sdn Bhd in as an incentive for himself as a civil servant and Minister of the Interior at the time to extend the company’s contract as the operator of the One Stop Center (OSC) in China and the VLN system as well as to maintain the agreement to supply the paraphernalia of the integrated VLN system to the same company by the Ministry of the Interior.

He allegedly committed the offenses in Seri Satria, Cité 16, Putrajaya and Country Heights, Kajang between October 2014 and March 2018.

Charges under section 16 (a) (B) of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) Act 2009 which may be punished under section 24 (1) of the same law, provide for a maximum of 20 years in prison and a fine of at least five times the value of the gratuity or RM 10,000, whichever is greater, if convicted.

On seven other counts, Ahmad Zahid was indicted as Home Secretary for accepting S $ 1,150,000, RM 3,000,000, € 15,000 (approximately RM 75,663) and US $ 15,000 ( approximately RM62,115) in cash from the same company which he knew had some connection to his position as Home Secretary at the time.

He was charged with committing the offenses at a Country Heights home between June 2015 and October 2017 under section 165 of the Penal Code, punishable by up to two years’ imprisonment or a fine. , or both, if convicted.

Get the latest news @ www.EdgeProp.my

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest stories and updates

Click here for more property stories


Source link

Previous Everything you need to know about India-US travel during Covid
Next Afghan interpreter rejected for protection visa evacuated to the Netherlands

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *