The long wait is over, Sikka Khan finally moves to Pakistan to live with his brother

Seventy-four years after an invisible line drawn on a map split a family, Sikka Khan’s wait to find his brother finally came to an end on Saturday night, with the octogenarian crossing the Attari-Wagah border into Pakistan to finally go live with his brother, Sadiq Khan.

Seventy-four years after the border split the two Punjabs, leaving Sikka and her mother on one side and her elder brother Sadiq Khan and her father on the Pakistani side – never to be together again – it only took a video for the search to end. shared on social media in 2019. A day after a YouTuber in Pakistan, Nasir Dhillon, uploaded Sadiq’s appeal, he received a call from a rural doctor in the village of Sikka. It took two more years for the brothers to finally meet, after overcoming the paperwork.

The brothers had first met in person at Gurdwara Kartarpur Sahib for a few hours in January 2022.

As their emotional meeting in Kartarpur made headlines around the world, the Pakistani Embassy responded by issuing a visa to Sikka Khan so he could visit his brother. Although the Pakistani side allowed Sikka Khan to live with his brother for three months, Covid played spoilsport, with travel restrictions imposed between the two countries in view of the rising number of cases.

Covid restrictions were finally lifted recently, allowing Sikka Khan to finally cross over to meet his brother.

On Saturday, Sadiq Khan was waiting on the Attari side to receive his brother with open arms. After reuniting with his younger brother, Sadiq Khan, told the media: “We are very happy. We are finally together today. We only have a few years left in our lives. We will ask the government of Pakistan to allow Sikka to stay with us for the short time we have left. He has no one in India to take care of him. We have so much to tell each other now. We will catch up with what happened in our lives after our separation.

He added that it was a miracle. “It’s a miracle. What if one of us had died before we met? said Sadik. Sikka Khan, a beloved person from the Phulewal village of Bhatinda, left behind memories and a group of well-wishers who came to see him at the international border.

“Our whole village offered him around Rs 25,000 for his visit to Pakistan. Sikka Khan bought clothes for her brother and children. He also bought bracelets for his daughters-in-law. He has a three month visa, but he can only stay for two months now,” said Dr Jagsir Singh, who was instrumental in bringing the two brothers together. Sikka Khan said, “People in my village insisted that I invite Sadiq to visit me in India. I told them that I will bring it with me. The whole village of Phulewal loves me. They helped me buy presents for my brothers and daughters-in-law. I take clothes and bracelets as gifts.

Sadiq Khan lives in Bogran village in Faisalabad district of Pakistan, where Dhillon had registered him. Sadiq, who is over 80, told him how, in the summer of 1947, he and his father left his maternal home in what would become Indian Punjab, without his younger brother and mother, and found themselves in two different countries.

Within a day, Dhillon was contacted by Jagsir Singh, a rural doctor and dairy owner from Phulewal. He said the man Sadiq was looking for was Habib alias Sikka Khan, who lived in their village.

Sikka Khan and his relatives were among the Muslim families that the village sheltered during partition. Sikka and her mother were guests in the village at the time. The family of his maternal grandparents still lives in Phulewal. There are still seven Muslim families in the village.

Previous Apply online for 12 Manager positions
Next Australia turns to Vietnam for agricultural workers as first agricultural visa memorandum of understanding is signed